Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Mask

I work for a rather large, old, global company. You know the company, and I can guarantee that all of you own something that was either designed or made or has components that have been made by this company. It sometimes weirds me out how many things this company has invented, including fabrics, dyes for printing on fabrics, man made fibres, the list it seems is endless!

The best thing about working for a global company is that we often have people from other countries come and work in Australia with us. Being in HR I get to meet a lot of them, which I love. Yesterday we had a gentleman from our company in Mexico come and meet with us. He has immigrated to Australia and is hoping to come and work with us. As is the custom of many South American and Asian c
ompanies he presented us with a gift.

When I first saw this I didn't know what to think. Then I decided it reminded me of the mask Jim Carey wears in "The Mask", which instantly made me want to hold it up to my face!! :) I do like the colours of the stones used and the shape of the mask. And the generosity of someone giving a gift to people he has not met, made my day a little brighter!


And on the finisher front (again!) I made some wee little mittens for a newborn. They are for a good craftin' buddy who is preggers. Lots of fun to knit, although it felt strange to go back to small needles after 7mm!
All this finshing projects is making me feel a little weird!!

4 comments:

Bells said...

that is one cool but slightly creepy mask.

And those mittens! Oh how gorgeous! What's the pattern?

Denise said...

Oooh, I love the mask - are the stone set in glass?

Those little mittens will be very handy (oh, ha ha, bad pun)... tiny bubbies are forever scratching themselves with their fingernails until they get better control of their limbs, and parents are forever freaking out at how best to cut their bubbies' nails without hurting or upsetting them (teeth work well, actually) - so these will help a lot.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

those little mittens are so sweet!

Anonymous said...

You've bought a knitting machine on the sly, haven't you? :)